Forum moderators/custodians/janitors?

benelot

Forum moderators/custodians/janitors?

Post by benelot »

Hello guys!

Does the Bullet Physics forum actually have any forum moderators? If not, I would be willing to be one. Especially the spam on this forum could be cleaned once in a while.
Last edited by benelot on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drleviathan

Re: Forum moderators?

Post by drleviathan »

I too would like to see spam posts cleaned up faster. benlot is a frequent and helpful participant in these forums and has my support for forum moderator role.
benelot

Post by benelot »

What do other people think? Don't we need moderators? I am happy to do it, and if some others volunteer as well, we might get a much cleaner forum. I would also like to ask people to add a [SOLVED] tag to the thread if the problem has been solved. This makes it easier to find solutions to already solved problems.
Basroil

Post by Basroil »

I think the community is small and well mannered enough that a "moderator" isn't necessary, but I do think a "custodian" role might be needed. As you've mentioned, there's often spam and long dead threads around, and it's a bit much to ask Erwin to take care of all of it by himself. Whether that "custodian" has editorial rights or simply makes a list of corrections needed for Erwin to actually implement is something that only Erwin can really decide (though I'm sure opening up to privileged users would lessen his workload for maintaining the website significantly)
benelot

Re: Forum moderators/custodians/janitors?

Post by benelot »

I would still be up to be a custodian, but it would be interesting to hear Erwin's opinion on it. Also he is probably the one to give me the permissions. What I would want to do is the following:
-Marking the solved threads as such
-Cleaning up spam [marking them spam or deleting right away]

The rest is already possible, I remind people to add the solved tag and I point them to already solved issues if they come up with the same question again.
hyyou

Post by hyyou »

I second the idea that there should be someone to remove those spams / edit some posts.

For example, many KennethTColman's advertisement in April 2016 are not removed, and now it is August 2016 already.

More spams will cause newcomers think that this library was abandoned, then they will flee away.
The real site administrators might be too busy for this housekeeping task.

IMHO, if the real administrators think that Benelot is not trustworthy enough, he may be given only power to flag spam/spammers - as trial.

I noticed that he is trying to take that responsibility without charge, so shouldn't he be provided some weapon at least?
This is just my opinion. :D
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I removed the reported spam messages, and added Danny and benelot as moderators.

One of the issues I need to resolve is updating to a server with newer version of php, so that I can update to newest version of phpbb3, with better spam filtering etc. I'll put it higher on my todo.
With the newer version of php forum software, there is some one-click-spam removal plugin, which doesn't work with the current Bullet forum version. The website has been up and running for over 11 years now...

Thanks for the reports!