CAD to Bullet?

Davad

CAD to Bullet?

Post by Davad »

Does anyone here have experience creating a physics model from CAD data, i.e., moving a CAD model into Bullet or another rbd engine? My current plan of attack is to write an exporter for Pro/E to COLLADA, then import that file into Bullet or another rbd engine.

Thoughts?
oldpotato

Will you use BREP or triangle data for your CAD model?

Post by oldpotato »

Hi, I am very interested in the same topic. But which model you plan to use? BREP is always used in cad system and do you want to use it directly?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

What kind of CAD data is this? Which collision representations? Also constraints?

It is possible to extend custom shapes, like BREP in Bullet, by dynamically tesselating triangles for the shape within a given AABB. Check out the btHeightfieldTerrainShape for an example of a custom concave shape type.

Thanks,
Erwin
musquida

Re: CAD to Bullet?

Post by musquida »

What is a good first time CAD software? I have never used a CAD program before, but that doesn't mean i want a cheap limited one. I wouldn't like it to be highly professional. It will be my first time using one, so it has to be good for beginners. Preferably at around the 50 price range?
Last edited by musquida on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
winspear

Re: CAD to Bullet?

Post by winspear »

Personally I have used Solidworks, PRO-e and AutoDesk Inventor.
For pure design purposes: Hands down Solidworks is the best.
In second comes PRO-E: Design interface is not intuitive but Pro-E has good CAM (CNC code generation) and FEM (Mechanica) module.
Autodesk Inventor: not so great but is inexpensive. You can get it free if you are a student.