using soft body for clothing simulation

Yann

using soft body for clothing simulation

Post by Yann »

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use bullet soft bodies to simulate cloth in our software. The problem is that even if I manage to make 'simple' usage like these shown in the bullet samples, I never manage to get a stable simulation with more complex usages.

To make it simple, my test is to simulate a skirt attached to a kinematic character. Here is my results when the character is not moving to much:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljgfg9dtuvjti ... _skirt.avi
It's almost fine.

But when I try to make things more interesting, here are my results:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qtfrm6vzml6g ... irt_01.avi
Collisions with legs, and then it's all ruined...

I tried to change many parameters, one by one, to see what would make it better, but no good results so far...
I tried Bullet running from 60Hz to 240Hz, soft bodies substeps from 5 to 100, with or without clusters, skirt mass from 1 to 100kg... Nothing seems to help.

I suspect the problem may come from the fact that my ragdoll is running in kinematic mode, but it's how I need it anyway, so I don't see how to test this probability..
Does anyone ever tried to make a nice cloth simulation with Bullet ?
How should the parameters be set ?
SynapticBytes

Re: using soft body for clothing simulation

Post by SynapticBytes »

I'm still working through my own implementation of softbodies, so don't have a definite answer, but one hack I had to do on a tablecloth to minimise penetration was create a large collision margin.

Not the best answer to the question! as it looks a bit like the tablecloth has a bubble of air under it, and I still have some penetration on the pointy corners of the table, but like you, just trying to increase the precision of the simulation didn't seem to help that much.

Your case may be different as I'm not sure how the kinematic controller response a with soft bodies.
Yann

Post by Yann »

Thx for your answer ;)
Like you, I tend to have better results with bigger margin... but it's still not precise/stable enough, and it's not really satisfying neither....

I ran into some videos from Modo, which seems to be using bullet, so I also tried using A LOT of clusters, low damping... Well, lots of lcusters also helped a little, but is still not satisfying for a clothing simulation...
It seems like there also is a lightwave plugin, giving some decent results with bullet cloth, but I couldn't get many info from that...

Does anybody get some hints from Modo or lightwave, or any other good working clothing simulation using bullet ?
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

Doesn't blender integrate bullet softbodies? Not sure since I'm not a blender user.
Yann

Post by Yann »

Well, Dynamica/Maya also integrates bullet softbodies, but I didn't found any nice clothing simulation for any of them...
Any link to some video would be appreciated ;)