Bullet Linear Math for rendering

willcassella

Bullet Linear Math for rendering

Post by willcassella »

Hi,

Just as a note, I'm pretty new to this whole area of CS, so please forgive anything stupid I might say.

I'm working on creating a game engine using OpenGL as my graphics API. I was getting tired of GLM because its quaternions and transformations were just hard to work with, and I'd heard that Bullet's linear math library used some 'SIMD' magic to make it run faster. As I was going to implement Bullet collision and dynamics into the game engine anyway, I thought it would be nice to use bullet's linear math library as well. It seems pretty straight forward, but its missing a class for 4x4 matrices, which are essential for rendering. Was this library just not designed for use in rendering, or am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated,

Will Cassella
Last edited by willcassella on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c6burns

Re: Bullet Linear Math for rendering

Post by c6burns »

I see GMTL used quite a bit though I haven't used it. I use Ogre so I use OgreMath ... it's not self-contained out-of-the-box though. It's also nowhere near as optimized as bullet's LinearMath.
willcassella

Post by willcassella »

Is the MatrixX class used for custom sized matrices? I can't seem to find anything on it in the documentation.
GMTL might be nice, but if possible I'd like to use Bullet's library

Thanks,

Will Cassella
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

MatrixX is definitely for custom sized matrices, but it's missing some of the functionality you would want ... unless you want to define your vec4s as MatrixXs in order to multiply, which seems like a bad idea. I think it's used in some of the solvers ... I am not really sure what it's for :)