Equivalent of OpenDE's space?

bram

Equivalent of OpenDE's space?

Post by bram »

I have not been able to find any reference to this in Bullet's manual.

Is there a Bullet equivalent for OpenDE's space object?
In OpenDE, geometries can be grouped as a space, and saves on collision tests in two ways:
  • If a geometry does not intersect with the bounding box of the space, it is not necessary to test for intersection with the contained geometries.
  • Collisions testing for geometries contained in the same space can be ignored.
E.g. it is quite customary to contain different parts of a vehicle in a single space for better culling, and also avoiding collisions of the wheels with the chassis. (Note: I am aware of Bullet's ray based vehicle system.)
tuan kuranes

Re: Equivalent of OpenDE's space?

Post by tuan kuranes »

bram wrote:
  • If a geometry does not intersect with the bounding box of the space, it is not necessary to test for intersection with the contained geometries.
You can check GhostObject http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki- ... d_Triggers

But note Bullet does optimise a lot more than openDe the broadphase collision part, using spatial partitioning system for collision (Dynamic AABB Tree), with conservative optimisation, etc. ( http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki- ... Broadphase ) so it may not be very useful to go that route, it may even hurt more than it helps (breaking the conservative algo).
bram wrote:
  • Collisions testing for geometries contained in the same space can be ignored.
[/list]
I think the equivalent would be collision masks in bullet.

Overall collision mask and callback are more flexible in order to solve situation application side in more dynamic ways.
http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki- ... _Filtering
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

It looks like you are using spaces to perform collision filtering (exclude collisions using some condition, in your case if they are in the same space).

The easiest is to use collision group and mask, but then you can only have a limited number of vehicles.
Another solution is to create your custom collision filter and assign it to the broadphase using setOverlapFilterCallback(btOverlapFilterCallback* callback).
Just derive a class from btOverlapFilterCallback and implement needsBroadphaseCollision, with your custom rules.

Here is the default implementation:

Code: Select all

inline bool needsBroadphaseCollision(btBroadphaseProxy* proxy0,btBroadphaseProxy* proxy1) const
		{
			if (m_overlapFilterCallback)
				return m_overlapFilterCallback->needBroadphaseCollision(proxy0,proxy1);

bool collides = (proxy0->m_collisionFilterGroup & proxy1->m_collisionFilterMask) != 0;
			collides = collides && (proxy1->m_collisionFilterGroup & proxy0->m_collisionFilterMask);

return collides;
		}

One way to recognize that a vehicle part is colliding against a part of the same vehicle is by using user pointer stored in the btRigidBody, and store the information there.
(you can access the btRigidBody from the broadphase proxy)

I wouldn't worry about performance implications, the default btDbvtBroadphase is pretty well optimized. Unlike OpenDE, Bullet's overlapping pairs are incrementally added and removed, so there are no duplicate checks.
Hope this helps,
Erwin
bram

Post by bram »

Thx,

For people trying to replicate this: you have to go through the cache, like so:

broadphase->getOverlappingPairCache()->setOverlapFilterCallback(...)
I decided to use btCollisionObject's userIndex for the grouping per vehicle.

But note: because the information is cached, you need to set the userIndex before you add the rigidBody to the world, as collision filtering is decided at that moment.

This is my callback:

class OverlapFilterCallback: public btOverlapFilterCallback
{
        inline bool needBroadphaseCollision( btBroadphaseProxy* proxy0, btBroadphaseProxy* proxy1 ) const
        {
                bool collides = (proxy0->m_collisionFilterGroup & proxy1->m_collisionFilterMask) != 0;
                collides = collides && (proxy1->m_collisionFilterGroup & proxy0->m_collisionFilterMask);

if ( collides )
                {
                        const btCollisionObject* ob0 = (const btCollisionObject*)proxy0->m_clientObject;
                        const btCollisionObject* ob1 = (const btCollisionObject*)proxy1->m_clientObject;
                        const int u0 = ob0->getUserIndex();
                        const int u1 = ob1->getUserIndex();
                        if ( u0 == u1 && u0 != -1 )
                        {
                                //LOGI( "Skipping %p vs %p (%d/%d)", ob0, ob1, u0, u1 );
                                collides = false;
                        }
                }

return collides;
        }
};
It works pretty well... it enables me to have wheels be tested against a chassis of another vehicle, but not against its own chassis, for instance.