Voxel World, Construct collision model on the fly

MajorNr01

Voxel World, Construct collision model on the fly

Post by MajorNr01 »

I have a voxel world system and I want to integrate bullet physics so that rigid bodies collide with the terrain. Unlike minecraft the world produces flat areas aswell as slopes to around 45 degrees.

I thought that probably the most efficient way to make a collision model for the terrain is to construct geometry on the fly every frame depending on all rigid bodies and their respective AABBs.

Using an AABB i can easily pick out all blocks in the world contained (or even touched) by it and construct their collision models (originally I only had cubes, but now single blocks can produce many different collision models depending on the blocks around them).

I have seen people do the approach of just making a BvhTriangleMeshShape for the entire world, but especially with a changing world I don't think this is all too viable, or at least I know that I can pick out the right blocks for collisions A LOT easier than just having the entire geometry and then use some complicated AABB tree.

Can anyone help me to implement something like that? Maybe with a custom collision shape, or -broadphase algorithm? It is enough if anyone can point me towards some information on this subject.
beyzend

Re: Voxel World, Construct collision model on the fly

Post by beyzend »

Yeah I tried a trimesh approach and also a compound shape approach. I've been away from the project for over 11 moth (I'm getting back to it) so the details may be hazy. Basically what I do is I create a bullet trimesh object for some NxNxN volume region. When I pick I pick the trimesh to get an intersection point. From the intersection point and direction I can compute a map into my volume. But you are right, it's not the best approach. I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

I have a video showing some hackish destruction code I came up with in a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap2RZo-VybQ

Here is another video showing some recent work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsVglO7kz0

frankly I probably don't even care about performance of this right now. I need to implement more game play.
beyzend

Post by beyzend »

btw I also save the chunks to disk using leveldb. I don't think I"m doing it in an optimized way though because I'm not manually batching things up. Maybe the leveldb code will do optimized writes.
beyzend

Post by beyzend »

I've seen color picking been used in voxel projects that may work if you were just looking for some way to pick. Like I said, what I"m doing now is I just call pick on Bullet and use the returned pick results as a key into my volume structure in CPU memory. Eventually I'm looking to move everything to OpenCL (for my isometric game I may be able to just ray march the entire thing). Right now my volume code is very simple. It's just a big constant sized NxNxN chunk of memory and everything is paged into that as the world moves, so I think it may be possible to port to OpenCL and just drop a marching cube algorithm on it.

BTW the last screens looks weird because I hacked together a PBR system so I had to create custom textures for it:

http://imgur.com/nLMk7No,xQL0Ln9,JvKrJlE#0
MaxDZ8

Post by MaxDZ8 »

I have seen people do the approach of just making a BvhTriangleMeshShape for the entire world, but especially with a changing world I don't think this is all too viable, or at least I know that I can pick out the right blocks for collisions A LOT easier than just having the entire geometry and then use some complicated AABB tree.
100% agreed. Back when I worked with something which (almost) looked voxel-ish, I had relatively good experiences with what could be a raw fill. Except my assets weren't really integer-aligned so my fill was pretty much more involved. How are you about that?

A custom voxel shape might make sense I guess but I'm not much on those voxel vibe to start with.