[HOW TO] Character Controller (Irrlicht + Bullet)

mant

[HOW TO] Character Controller (Irrlicht + Bullet)

Post by mant »

Hi I've been searching about this problem for few days.
Can anyone share with me how can we do that?
Thank you
STTrife

Re: [HOW TO] Character Controller (Irrlicht + Bullet)

Post by STTrife »

I worked with irrlicht and bullet before. I depends if you want a kinematic controller or a rigid body controller.
I can only tell you somet things about the rigid body controller cause that is what I use.

The reaseon I did not use the CharacterController that comes with bullet, it because the manual states that is has 'outstanding issues'. And I assume that the outSTANDing is not meant in a good way :) but they don't say what these issues are, and I didn't want to run into problems I can't fix (I assumed that if the creators of Bullet haven't fixed them yet, that they are hard problems)
The advantage of just using a rigid body that you control with forces is that it just behaves as a normal rigid body, so you don't have any 'extra' problems except you have to find ways to apply the correct forces to make it behave properly.
But actually it wasn't that hard to make my controller behave the way I wanted and I must say it works fine. Also with this approach you can use motionstates like you do with any bullet objects to connect it to irrlicht. Not sure how that goes with the Character Controller that comes with bullet.
Dr.Shepherd

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

STTrife wrote:I worked with irrlicht and bullet before. I depends if you want a kinematic controller or a rigid body controller.
I can only tell you somet things about the rigid body controller cause that is what I use.

The reaseon I did not use the CharacterController that comes with bullet, it because the manual states that is has 'outstanding issues'. And I assume that the outSTANDing is not meant in a good way :) but they don't say what these issues are, and I didn't want to run into problems I can't fix (I assumed that if the creators of Bullet haven't fixed them yet, that they are hard problems)
The advantage of just using a rigid body that you control with forces is that it just behaves as a normal rigid body, so you don't have any 'extra' problems except you have to find ways to apply the correct forces to make it behave properly.
But actually it wasn't that hard to make my controller behave the way I wanted and I must say it works fine. Also with this approach you can use motionstates like you do with any bullet objects to connect it to irrlicht. Not sure how that goes with the Character Controller that comes with bullet.
Hi,

may I ask more about how you apply the torque on two rigid bodies connected by a constraint? is is the same to apply torque t on body A, and torque -t on body B?
STTrife

Post by STTrife »

I do not use 2 bodies connected by a constraint, so I'm not sure how you want to set up your character?

But I think a torque is always one a single body, so if two bodies are connected and you want to spin them 'around' that, I would think you would have to apply opposite forces on those bodies to make them rotate. (not torque, because that will make a body rotate around its own axis I think). But not sure what that has to do with character controller?
Dr.Shepherd

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

STTrife wrote:I do not use 2 bodies connected by a constraint,...
Not sure how you construct a hierarchy of rigid bodies without constraints?
STTrife

Post by STTrife »

Character controller != ragdoll system

Usually characters are a single object untill they die. Only then they become ragdolls and die gracefully. I don't use that so can't help you with that.