Determine angular velocities in btGeneric6DofConstraint

suboptimist

Determine angular velocities in btGeneric6DofConstraint

Post by suboptimist »

Hi,

I have a btGeneric6DofConstraint where the three linear degrees of freedoms are fixed and the angular degrees are free. I am trying to read out the angular velocity of this joint around the indiviidual axes. The joint connects one fixed box and one box with a finite mass. For testing purposes, I am using the three rotational limit motors to define a specific angular velocity and I am trying to somehow read out the resulting velocities from the joint. However, as soon as I have more than one motor activated, the read out velocities start to differ from the applied ones. This is most probably due to some confusion of local, absolute and relative coordinates. I tried to find how bullet calculates those velocities internally which I guess it must do to maintain a given velocity, but was not able to find it.

To make a long story short, I wonder what is the proper way to read out the three angular velocity components of a btGeneric6DofConstraint?

Any help with this would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Timo
Dr.Shepherd

Re: Determine angular velocities in btGeneric6DofConstraint

Post by Dr.Shepherd »

I have been struggling with similar problems and the best solution I came along is to calculate the relative rotation between two linked objects. If anyone got a better way, I am more than pleased to know that.