Vertex skinning ragdolls?

xENO_

Vertex skinning ragdolls?

Post by xENO_ »

So, I'm trying to vertex skin some ragdolls. I think I've figured out enough of how to create ragdolls (the Ragdoll demo was helpful) to make ragdolls, but I'm not sure how to unify vertex skinning ragdolls with skeletal animation.

I may be overcomplicating this: is it as simple as using the rotations of the rigid bodies for the rotations of each bone? Or is it more complicated than this.
MaxDZ8

Re: Vertex skinning ragdolls?

Post by MaxDZ8 »

Looking at this thread as I'm also interested.
morando

Post by morando »

VicariousEnt

Post by VicariousEnt »

Its a bit more complicated then that what it comes to implementing it, but more or less.

You need to keep track of the transform offset to line up each bone (each bone that has a matching rb anyways) with its rb and apply it. You need to get all your hooks setup correctly to get the results of the collision frame update before your skeleton renders its world space matrix stack so you modify your stack. You need to keep track of which joints are bound to RBs, and which aren't. The ones that aren't will also need the transform that was applied to the last RB above them in the hierarchy.

You also have to think of it all going in the other direction for when you want to use Kinematic mode and have the rb's follow the animation.

Its a simple concept, but can be a fair bit of work to implement properly.