Rope (soft body) collision

gaston

Rope (soft body) collision

Post by gaston »

Hi all,

I have a question concerning soft body collision. Imagine this scenario...

Two dynamic actors are attached to one another using a rope. Should they move on each side of a pole or tree (or any thin object) and try to pass it the rope would collide with the object and prevent them from further movement in that direction. However, the soft body collision response doesn't seem to handle this very well, the rope only slides through every thinner geometry as the actors puts force on the rope.

Iv'e been fiddeling around with the different parameters (mass, resolution, collision margin) with no real improvement. The rope needs to have a somewhat smaller mass than the actors in order for other things to work so I cannot just lower the actors's masses - the rope will get too heavy for them. My current mass ratio between actor and rope is currently 5 to 1.

My question is simply, can I expect to have this type of collision using soft bodies? Would jointed spheres (rigid bodies) be a better way?

Thanks for any answers!

/Johan
gaston

Re: Rope (soft body) collision

Post by gaston »

By the way, is there a way of retrieving the orientation of a single node in a soft body?