rayTest() false hits

ca$per

rayTest() false hits

Post by ca$per »

Hi!
As you can see from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plSRY7jDbxY), rayTest() returns false hit in some cases.
The ray itself is ok, because i tested it with calculating hits by hands (checking for collisions without bullet). So it is built correctly.
In video, white lines are convex hull collision objects and red lines - their AABBs. All drawing is from debugDrawWorld().
What can be wrong? The only thing i thought about is center of mass. It's positioned incorrectly in collision objects, but since i do not use them as rigid bodies, i thought to leave them like that. Can this lead to incorrect behaviour? Or maybe something else?
ca$per

Re: rayTest() false hits

Post by ca$per »

Looks like i found root of the problem. Some objects are not convex. But how do i make them so? I mean i just load them from file and it seems that i can't be sure, that a convex mesh will be generated properly. What can i do in this case?
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

IIRC Bullet has a convex hull tool (StanHull). You can send you nearly convexes through it. I had a similar problem where I exported convex geometry and it wasn't. You can also write a simple test to verify whether an object is convex. For each face make sure that the vertices of the adjacent faces are behind the face plane.
ca$per

Post by ca$per »

Thanks for this tip. Looks like this plugin is an amazing thing!
Unfortunatelly, in my case it changed the shape really much, loosing it's form:
hull_angle.jpg
The one to the right - is the initial mesh.

Perhaps there might be some parameters, that can help or changing the mesh is the only way in this case?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

You need to decompose your original shape into convex pieces. This is called "convex decomposition". I don't know if Bullet has support for this yet, but I would search the forum and google for it. If the object is static you could alternatively make it a triangle mesh. Bullet also supports dynamic triangle meshes utilizing GImpact. So maybe look at the GImpactShape as well. I am no expert on GImpact and what it supports though.
ca$per

Post by ca$per »

Thank you!
But the problem is, that i have no clue on which of methods to use.
Can you suggest one? What is best in terms of performance? In a scene, there might be 100+ of these objects.
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

Maybe try GImpact first. It should get you up and running quickly. If this doesn't work you need to decompose. This is obviously more work on the authoring site.
ca$per

Post by ca$per »

Thanks! So i'll take a look at it.