MultiThreading and ConvexDecomposition at the same time

TheGameMaker

MultiThreading and ConvexDecomposition at the same time

Post by TheGameMaker »

Hello!
I have a problem and it might be a bug:

I used the multithreading like in the MultiThreadedDemo and ConvexDecomposition like in the ConvexDecompositionDemo. When I used these two pieces of code separately, they worked fine but as soon as I used them together as in a multithreaded-ConvexDecomposition demo, it crashed. Could someone please see if you get the same problem so that I know if it's just the way I did my program or if it is a real bug. The problem comes when I start stepping the world. The multithreaded code tries to update a shape that doesn't exist (16).

Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: MultiThreading and ConvexDecomposition at the same time

Post by Erwin Coumans »

It might be recently fixed bug in latest trunk:
http://code.google.com/p/bullet/source/detail?r=2093

The current fix just uses a fallback to the non-multi threaded version, so it will not be faster. It will require some work to accelerate large compound shapes. Note that the MultiThreaded version is likely slower for compound shapes, because it doesn't use the dynamic tree acceleration structure.

Can you see if upgrading to the latest trunk fixes it for you? If you need acceleration for large compound shapes, please file a new issue in the tracker, so the request doesn't get lost.
Thanks,
Erwin
TheGameMaker

Re: MultiThreading and ConvexDecomposition at the same time

Post by TheGameMaker »

Thanks for replying Erwin but I tried the changes but there was no difference. I'll put a request in the tracker like you said. It's not actually that important for this to work for me but I think it would make bullet just a little bit better if you could use MultiThreading and ConvexDecomposition at the same time to increase the speed of the compound bodies. 8)