bug on CcdPhysicsController destructor

vicviper

bug on CcdPhysicsController destructor

Post by vicviper »

While working on my framework, I found two things that can be potentially dangerous:

The first one is not a bug, but it took me a while to trace the source of the continuous crashes when exiting the app:

On CcdPhysicsDemo, when you define this:

CcdConstructionInfo ccdObjectCi;

There's a parameter missing, that causes a crash if the CcdPhysicsController is called, the parameter is this one:

ccdObjectCi.m_physicsEnv = CurrentPhysicsEnvironmet;

The other problem is also in CcdPhysicsController destructor, the reason is that the destructor deletes the pointer to PHY_IMotionState* . Both in the CcdPhysicsDemo and my framework, the "myMotionState" objects are stored in the stack, not in the heap, so when the destructor of CcdPhysicsController is invoked, it causes a crash.

btw, which is the use of myMotionState?

CcdPhysicsController should not delete the PHY_IMotionState* pointer, since it's the user task to create the object, it is also the user task to destroy it.

Also, I noticed there are several structures in Bullet that require to be filled with correct parameters; I noticed that when filling some of them, there are parameters missing here and there, I figure you know what you're doing, but this can be prone to miss critical parameters, that are hard to trace. What I usually do is to add a "Reset" or "Clear" function that resets the structure values to its default, so I avoid missing to fill them correctly.

Hope it helps

Vic
Last edited by vicviper on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

btw, which is the use of myMotionState?
Every application needs to provide a derived class of PHY_IMotionState.
This synchronizes the physics and graphic transform. Typically you would derive your own version for your particular graphics transform class.

I will put the ownership of data / initialization on the TODO.
Thanks for the useful feedback.
Erwin