Weird Code, maybe buffer overrun in btBoxBoxDetector::inte..

teravus

Weird Code, maybe buffer overrun in btBoxBoxDetector::inte..

Post by teravus »

The code in btBoxBoxDetector::intersectRectQuad seems to either be really strange.. or a buffer overrun.

the method signature is

static int intersectRectQuad2 (btScalar h[2], btScalar p[8], btScalar ret[16])

But, I paused there and ran through all of the elements.. and it looked okay.. until I tried the fictitious 9th element [8]. Surprisingly it returned the half extent of the box instead of uninitialized memory. You might think that.. so what, I got lucky that it allocated them contiguously.. but.. the method itself uses fictitious element 8.

It starts at the beginning of p, sets q to first element in p using pointer math.
then there are two for loop beginnings.. and it sets pq to the first element of q using pointer math.
then, it loops 5 times.. each time setting pq += 2 (ponter math for moving it two elements forward)
starting with a zero bound;
5*2 = 8
at that point.. pq references the 8th element of the original array p.. which.. is beyond the size of p in the declaration.

So.. either I'm missing something (which could easily be the case), there's either an invalid declaration with btScalar p[8] in the method signature, or there's an overrun.

p is supposed to be the 2d coordinate of the incident face (x, y pairs) according to the documentation..

Code: Select all

// find the four corners of the incident face, in reference-face coordinates
btScalar quad[8];	// 2D coordinate of incident face (x,y pairs)
quad[0] = c1 - k1 - k3;
quad[1] = c2 - k2 - k4;
quad[2] = c1 - k1 + k3;
quad[3] = c2 - k2 + k4;
quad[4] = c1 + k1 + k3;
quad[5] = c2 + k2 + k4;
quad[6] = c1 + k1 - k3;
quad[7] = c2 + k2 - k4;
// find the size of the reference face
btScalar rect[2];
rect[0] = Sa[code1];
rect[1] = Sa[code2];
// intersect the incident and reference faces
btScalar ret[16];
int n = intersectRectQuad2 (rect,quad,ret);
.. where quad is p
John McCutchan

Re: Weird Code, maybe buffer overrun in btBoxBoxDetector::inte..

Post by John McCutchan »

Dup.
Last edited by John McCutchan on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John McCutchan

Post by John McCutchan »

Hi teravus,

Just run your build under valgrind, it will immediately tell you if your assumption is right.

John
teravus

Post by teravus »

After debugging and stepping through it again, it turns out that it moves the pointer forward to the 8th element and then ends the for loop without accessing what's in the element so it should be fine.