cmake versus VS sln/vcproj files

PaulMartz

cmake versus VS sln/vcproj files

Post by PaulMartz »

Hi all -- I'm using v2.68.

When building on Windows (VS8), is smake or the supplied VS sln/vcproj files the recommended method? I've encountered problems with both...

cmake 2.6 generates sln/vcproj files that fail to build libbulletmath.lib.

The supplied VS8 sln/vcproj files use different settings for RTTI between debug and release builds, use the non-DLL form of the VS runtime libraries, and create a static rather than dynamic collada converter.

Neither, as shipped with 2.68, appear to be correct. Have I screwed something up on my end? Certainly one of these build solutions should work... Perhaps these issues are resolved in 2.69 or the SVN head?

Please let me know what ithers are doing. Any help is appreciated.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: cmake versus VS sln/vcproj files

Post by Erwin Coumans »

PaulMartz wrote:Hi all -- I'm using v2.68.

When building on Windows (VS8), is smake or the supplied VS sln/vcproj files the recommended method? I've encountered problems with both...

cmake 2.6 generates sln/vcproj files that fail to build libbulletmath.lib.
Bullet 2.70 should build fine using CMake (tested under Windows and Mac OSX). All build files are provided as convenience for the developer, many projects use their own custom build system. There is no recommendation.
The supplied VS8 sln/vcproj files use different settings for RTTI between debug and release builds, use the non-DLL form of the VS runtime libraries, and create a static rather than dynamic collada converter.
The demos compiles, link and run fine, right? For a future version we'll make all configurations consistent so they don't use RTTI.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
Fullback

Re: cmake versus VS sln/vcproj files

Post by Fullback »

Solution files and project files are in an XML format and describe the parts of your projects and their relations, configurations and so on. In fact, both of these files are simply MSBuild scripts (which are run through MSBuild when, you guessed it, building your project.) I used to think vcproj is vproj,lol
This means they are easy to manipulate by hand if needs be (though this should be a rare case) and also allows to add custom parts to the build script, create custom build scripts for MSBuild that can include the solution file, among other things, or just simple auto-build scripts that pass the solution file (or project) to MSBuild, say, on version control check-in.
I copied the words form https://stackoverflow.com/questions/713 ... ey-contain and http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... o-mp4.html Hope is not offensive