Particle movement in a fluid

SuperFreq

Particle movement in a fluid

Post by SuperFreq »

I am trying to simulate a particle system in a moving fluid system. I want to be able to change the speed of the "fluid" at any time to be able to simulate an undulating flow similar to moving blood with a heartbeat.

I have a working particle system (using btRigidBodys) and a way of applying forces in an "undulated" manner but I am having trouble getting the particles to slow down and speed up at the rate I would like to see. I tried dropping the mass down to 0.1 and applying damping when there is no force being applied but that does not seem to work.

Any suggestions on how to get this behavior?
wolves86

Re: Particle movement in a fluid

Post by wolves86 »

hello, have your question been solved. Now I face the same problem with you. Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot.
dphil

Post by dphil »

If you give your rigid bodies a constant linear damping of some value between 0 and 1 (maybe something like 0.9) and then intermittently apply a force to them in the desired direction of flow, I would think that would give the undulating flow motion.
Xcoder79

Post by Xcoder79 »

Have a look at SPH Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics
Samples keep in mind this type of simulation
Is very CPU intensive
dphil

Post by dphil »

Unless I am mistaken, I think SPH is more about simulating fluids (as many particles) or perhaps interactions between objects in fluids. That wouldn't solve the question of how to have the undulating flowing motion (though it could still add some nice effects to collections of interacting objects flowing through a blood vessel).