Space flight handling

Brian Beuken

Space flight handling

Post by Brian Beuken »

Hey all, I did do a search for flight characteristics but didn't find anything so apologies if this is covered somewhere already under a different naming

I'm just starting to impliment motion in a 3D space combat game and having no problem applying impulse to move ships along forward directions and allow momentum to carry them forward, but there's a few things I'd like to do and I'm not quite sure how to do it.
  • Is there a simple way to impliment banking when direction is changed, I know that physics wise, in space it makes no sense but it looks cool and its kinda what people expect to see? I can rotate the ships ok and push them along new forward directions, but since I take orientaion of my models from the RB, it doesn't actually seem to alter so I get flat turns.

Also I'd like to have a little bit of wobble in the smaller fighter ships as they fly to simulate some ..."space turbulance" (I know it isnt' real) or pilot twitchyness, I thought about just using tiny torque motions but it tends to generate spins..
Would really appreciate some advicel
Brian Beuken

Re: Space flight handling

Post by Brian Beuken »

Applying a relative amount of angular velocity to my RB's Z axis seems to give the effect I need, though I need to add a little manual damping to let it settle back to flat when the motion is all forward.

I'll play a bit with that idea