Tunnelling at very low velocity

BlinkOk

Tunnelling at very low velocity

Post by BlinkOk »

Hello,
Newbie here. I use BPS via a development platform called APPGameKit (I believe is it version BPS v282). I am experiencing tunnelling at very very low velocity. In fact there are no forces applied to the object and the maximum velocity of the object is set to 1.
I run the simulation in APPGameKit and i get the following result.

Link (Sorry, don't know how to embed a youtube video)

I have attached the dynamic object and the static object in the hope that maybe one of you guys could test these shapes with the latest version to see if it is still an issue. If it isn't it would give me an argument to go back to the developer and get them to upgrade to the latest version.
Also if there is some other solution then that would be even better.

Instructions:
1. load ground.3ds (or .obj), set it's shape to static mesh
2. load box.3ds (or .obj), set it's position to (-1393, 150, -1716), set it's shape to dynamic box (Optionally set it's maximum velocity to 1)
3. Run through the physics steps to see what happens

Thank you very much for your help
Attachments
media.rar
Assets
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
S1L3nCe

Re: Tunnelling at very low velocity

Post by S1L3nCe »

Hello,
I never used APPGameKit and don't know how it use Bullet but on what I see on your video:
  1. Try to better scale your objects. Avoid large scale, keep size in range [0.05,10]m (see https://web.archive.org/web/20170713085 ... _The_World )
  2. Try to give thickness to your groud, avoid flat plane.
    Quick test can be done by replacing your ground by a second static box
BlinkOk

Re: Tunnelling at very low velocity

Post by BlinkOk »

Thank you for you response

1. The scale is at the recommended amount by the AGK. For example : A human is 70 units tall. Possibly the units are different. I have also tried at different scales without success
2. I have tried with a solid shape and it still tunnels.

Your second point is an interesting one. The plane slopes downward and inward (it is the edge of a hole). In my experiments i have created an arena with a hill. I ran a test for 24 hours and did not notice any tunnelling. When i created a hole in the ground the tunnelling occurred.