Limits for spherical joints in btMultiBody

ajw

Limits for spherical joints in btMultiBody

Post by ajw »

Hi everyone, I am looking into using Bullet for defining an articulated humanoid character, with support for ragdoll-like behaviour, and also getting the character to perform pre-defined animations (not necessarily at the same time). I have developed separate demos with both the btRigidBody + independent constraints system, and with the btMultiBody system, and I'm starting to look into joint motors for the animation, and joint limits for the ragdoll behaviour.

Just recently I stumbled on this GitHub issue where it is mentioned that limits have not been implemented for spherical joints in btMultiBody. That post is pretty recent, and when I scanned the code I saw some ominous-looking switch statements with no eSpherical case, so I'm guessing the situation is still the same.

It looks like spherical is the only option for joints needing >1 DoF, so I'm wondering whether limits for spherical joints are likely to be implemented anytime soon, or whether anyone has any suggestions for workarounds? Or would it be best to stick with btRigidBody for now?