BulletTriangleMesh optimization

Lioune

BulletTriangleMesh optimization

Post by Lioune »

Hello,

I use Bullet with Panda3D Python bindings, and I would like to know if BulletTriangleMesh (https://docs.panda3d.org/1.10/python/re ... eMeshShape), which is equivalent to btTriangleMeshShape, has built-in optimization for large terrains. If there is a terrain of +50k vertices, will be performance issues ? Especially about hierarchical bounding box optimization, that is will be these triangles split into chunks recursively for optimizations, even if I don't really know how would it be possible?
I ask because I noticed no performance treat even with very (relatively) big mesh, with 1200 Triangles. If there is no optimization and performance issues, is it possible to make a hierarchal split (like an octree or something simplified like it) that will increase the performances?

Thank you
drleviathan

Re: BulletTriangleMesh optimization

Post by drleviathan »

Yes, the C++ btBvhTriangleMeshShape ctor will build the boundary volume hierarchy (bvh) by default as per the documentation here. This has been true since at least 2018-09-23.

It looks like the panda documentation at the link you provided shows the options to compress (use quantization when building the AABB tree) and bvh (use a bvh tree around the triangles). Both should probably be true execpt (a) for really large objects maybe use compress=false else the AABB's would get sloppy, and (b) for models with only a few triangles (100 or less? dunno what the exact line would be) maybe use bvh=false.

From my experience high triangle count (100k+ triangles) meshes can be performant when the triangles are spread out and the dynamic things colliding against them only ever overlap a few of the triangles at any time. However, if you make a 100k+ triangle mesh and then take a large dynamic object of approximately equal size and collide against the full mesh... well that will trigger many narrow-phase collision checks (on the order of number of triangles) and the stepSimulation() will take a long time. Sweep tests across big portions of such a high triangle mesh will also be costly.