get total forces/torque on a given .obj

physics_boii

get total forces/torque on a given .obj

Post by physics_boii »

Is there any easy of way of getting total torque/forces on an object?

I imported two .obj into the environment on a plane and am able to use getContactPoints() that have the normal forces and each contact force, but really need torque/total forces on a given object. Do I need to calculate this* and sum them up to get them, or is there some existing function that already does this? It would be like having a torque sensor at the center of gravity of the object. (this object also has forces acting upon it, just to be clear)

*(getting torque by using distance of forces is from center of gravity of the object and summing them, and also getting forces from this).

Any advice would be much appreciated!
elod.pall

Re: get total forces/torque on a given .obj

Post by elod.pall »

I'm also interested in attache a virtual FT sensor to an object. Now, I'm doing as @physics_boii described it, summing up forces (but I'm not computing the torque yet).

By the way, how is the contact forces computed for face-edge, face-face, or edge-edge contact?
1) I've seen that edge-face contact produces two contact points at the end of the line segment where the two objects are in contact
2) face-face contact points for a cube and plain are created on the corners (which touch the surface) of the cube.