How to open up a rigid interconnected polygon structure using a forward dynamics algorithm?

irac2

How to open up a rigid interconnected polygon structure using a forward dynamics algorithm?

Post by irac2 »

I posted this question a few days ago in stack exchange. https://ai.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... ted-panels.

I'll just copy the content here:

By open up I mean slightly open up so that a theoretical structure of panels with no width looks three-dimensional. The original structure being an ideal object where any number several panels can occupy the same region of space (plane).

To concretize what I mean by rigid structure of panels, let's take what's on my profile picture. I'm including here a larger version of that object:

An origami figure is folded from a square and, unlike this simple example in the image, it can be very convoluted, with layers upon layers.

Let's say that if I have an ideal, theoretical and flat model of an origami picture and by flat I mean the faces are on planes but not necessarily on a single plane. For example all of faces of the figure in the image would be in one plane, but there could be figures with more planes; think of animals with ears, flippers, etc.

I would like to open up those parts that hinge on a theoretical segment (relatively easy) or curve or make a triangle of the corners of those faces that have two adjacent faces with no connections, open up a set of several faces that allow such opening of which the image is a good example.

So far I have tried programming rules for different structures suchs as flaps, ends, wrap-arounds... However there are three no small problems. First, it's extremely challenging to take into account all the corner cases and possibilities. I suspect it sounds simpler that it really is, but I don't want to digress with explanations. Second, the code is not maintenable. It's difficult to put into words rules that have to be visualized. Third it's very difficult to unit test and debug.

Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction to achieve that by using pybullet or to let me know if it would be at all possible. Thanks in advance.