Is rayTest thread safe?

monty_hall

Is rayTest thread safe?

Post by monty_hall »

The signature is const, so I would think that it is thread safe.

Code: Select all

virtual void btCollisionWorld::rayTest(const btVector3& rayFromWorld, const btVector3& rayToWorld, RayResultCallback& resultCallback) const;
Please advise, because I 'm getting strange behavior when I run it multithreaded. In a static scene, multiple rayTests for the same ray doesn't return the same result; it manifests itself as a "sparkle" when I draw the intersection points. Running single threaded this doesn't happen.

Thanks,

M
Flix

Re: Is rayTest thread safe?

Post by Flix »

Is rayTest thread safe?
I've never tried, but, according to: http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/ ... &hilit=ray, to make it thread safe some changes must be applied.
Probably these changes (but I don't know if these are the ONLY changes required):
https://github.com/lunkhound/bullet3/co ... 84b7d1926d
anthrax11

Post by anthrax11 »

The const keyword means that the rayTest method doesn't modify the world object.
Other non-const methods such as stepSimulation can still change the object in another thread while rayTest is running.
svedach

Post by svedach »

I think we should try to do as it is written in https://github.com/lunkhound/bullet3/co ... 6fafdaL266. I will try to do it tomorrow and put the results here.
svedach

Post by svedach »

I could not get. I did as it is written at the link above, but when I call rayTest from multiple threads, the heap error occurs. It's a pity.
Xammond

Post by Xammond »

Might not be what you're looking for, but as the scene is static then you could have a duplicate dynamics world running on a seperate thread with a raytest queue. I found that this previously produced results quickly enough for my needs (camera, particles).
svedach

Post by svedach »

I think in many cases create a copy of the world after the simulation will be slow operation. We need to make to the existing world raytest multithreaded.
Basroil

Post by Basroil »

svedach wrote:I could not get. I did as it is written at the link above, but when I call rayTest from multiple threads, the heap error occurs. It's a pity.
Are you sure that your threads are off while stepping the world and only polling the system between steps?
svedach

Post by svedach »

Fully convinced that stop simulation when the RayTest.
Xammond

Post by Xammond »

svedach wrote:I think in many cases create a copy of the world after the simulation will be slow operation. We need to make to the existing world raytest multithreaded.
Yes it would be. My suggestion was to do so just once at runtime, but that is game specific based on a static world (not dynamic actors).