Journals for continuous collision detection?

Numsgil

Journals for continuous collision detection?

Post by Numsgil »

I'm curious what journals articles on continuous collision detection have shown up in? As far as I know, there aren't any specifically for CCD, so they tend to get written up in ones for graphics, like SIGGRAPH papers and the like. The small library of articles I'm aware of tend to be 15+ years old, though, so I suspect my knowledge is out of date.
Dirk Gregorius

Re: Journals for continuous collision detection?

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

Erin gave a presentation last year at the GDC about his method used in Box2D (and also Diablo 3). It is essentially an extension of Mirtich's Conservative Advancement. I implemented it in 3D here at Valve and it works really great in practice.

You can download it here: https://box2d.googlecode.com/files/Erin ... DC2013.zip

I am not aware of any journals about CCD.
Numsgil

Post by Numsgil »

Hmm, would it be fair to say that research isn't disseminated via papers/articles then? Most of the new work I'm familiar actually does come from blogs and the like.
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

I think this is fair to say. From my personal experience I would even go so far that most publication in physics and collision detection are hardly applicable to game development. Often they are too complex (in memory and time) and don't consider the constraints you have for real-time simulation or they simple don't work in practice, but only for some bunny dropping onto a plane.