Nasa releases open source CLARAty Robotic Software

Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Nasa releases open source CLARAty Robotic Software

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Nasa announces: "We're please to announce the first public software release for the CLARAty architecture: CLARAty 0.1-beta. The release was officially made on July 13, 2007.

The first CLARAty beta release is intended to put out core infrastructure robotic modules that were adapted from the CLARAty private repository. The private repository is used in research and development of advanced robotic algorithms. Our long term goal is to release as much of the robotic functionality as possible to engage the community to contribute algorithms to advancing the state-of-the-art. This first release represents about 10% of all CLARAty modules and 30% of the generic modules

This first release is intended to provide a sample of the CLARAty reusable robotic infrastructure and to exercise our automated mechanisms for checking out modules and their dependencies. The number of modules in this release is limited to 44. Primary functionality in these modules includes math infrastructure, rotation matrices with Euler angles, quaternions, and coordinate transformations (interoperable homogeneous and quaternion transforms). It also includes the coordinate frame infrastructure that connect transformations and mechanisms with moving parts. Additionally, you will find mechanism models for wheeled, legged and hybrid vehicles. Other modules include device and device group infrastructure with support for generic digital and analog I/O, cameras, and motors. Several modules in this release provide vision infrastructure for images, color images, camera models, 3D point cloud, and surface normal image representations."

See http://claraty.jpl.nasa.gov

(Although open source, the license forbids commercial usage without purchasing a commercial license)
voopaley

Re: Nasa releases open source CLARAty Robotic Software

Post by voopaley »

How do you become an Astrobiologist for NASA? The idea of this intrigues me. I'm currently a university student and I study biology and minor in physics. Where should I go from there? Does anyone know of a good grad program that would allow me to work at NASA at some point?