Impulse-based dynamic simulation library (IBDS)

Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

Thanks Rony!
clanzotti

Re: Impulse-based dynamic simulation library (IBDS)

Post by clanzotti »

Hi all,

Does anyone tried to implement the method described in the paper? I've done a simple test using Scilab (A simple 1d chain) but i get strange bevahior. I've not digged too much into the details and maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I found the paper interesting (even if some points are a little unclear).

Maybe Rony can give use some tips?

P.S. I can upload the Scilab's implementation if some of you are interested.

Best Regards,

Carlo Lanzotti
Jan Bender

Post by Jan Bender »

bone wrote:Just FYI, there's probably a better method out there if you're looking to accurately integrate rotations including the gyroscopic (coriolis) effects:

http://math.ucsd.edu/~sbuss/ResearchWeb ... /paper.pdf

In a nutshell, Mr. Buss provides both an "augmented" 2nd order method and a 3rd order method, both of which give better results than RK4 at a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for this hint. I will take a look at it.

Jan
bronxbomber92

Post by bronxbomber92 »

Jan Bender wrote:Hi,

after much work the first version of my impulse-based dynamic simulation library called IBDS is online:

http://www.impulse-based.de

The impulse-based dynamic simulation is a new method for the simulation of articulated rigid body systems that I have developed during my PhD. It can handle all kinds of joints, velocity constraints, collisions and contacts with friction. The iterative method even can handle models with loops. The methods described in "Fast Dynamic Simulation of Multi-Body Systems Using Impulses" and "Impulse-based dynamic simulation in linear time" are not yet integrated into the library but they will soon follow.

At the moment I just provide project files for VS2005 and VS2003. If you need files for Linux or Mac OS then either wait a bit or make them by your own and send them to me :wink:

Jan
Hi,

Since you didn't use the methods described in "Fast Dynamic Simulation of Multi-Body Systems Using Impulses" and "Impulse-based dynamic simulation in linear time" are not yet integrated into the library", which paper can this method be found? Are the methods described in these papers the same method, but "updated" continuities?
Jan Bender

Post by Jan Bender »

Hi,
Hi,

Since you didn't use the methods described in "Fast Dynamic Simulation of Multi-Body Systems Using Impulses" and "Impulse-based dynamic simulation in linear time" are not yet integrated into the library", which paper can this method be found? Are the methods described in these papers the same method, but "updated" continuities?
The linear-time method is integrated in the actual version of IBDS. So you can try it. The other one can be found in the paper "Fast Dynamic Simulation of Multi-Body Systems Using Impulses". It will be integrated soon too.

Jan