about Jan Bender's one-shot contact clipping algorithm

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
fishboy82

about Jan Bender's one-shot contact clipping algorithm

Post by fishboy82 »

Hello dear all:
can any one tell me where i can get more information about
"Jan Bender's one-shot contact clipping algorithm" as i see will be used in bullet.
Any article about this topic thanks a lot
Dirk Gregorius

Re: about Jan Bender's one-shot contact clipping algorithm

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

Check his PhD or one of his publications here: http://www.impulse-based.de/
fishboy82

Post by fishboy82 »

Thanks s lot ,but could show me in whitch paper contains this algorithm
there so many paper here
Daniel Bayer, Jan Bender and Raphael Diziol, "Impulse-based dynamic simulation on the GPU", Computer Graphics and Visualization (CGV 2009) - IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Algarve 2009
Raphael Diziol, Jan Bender and Daniel Bayer, "Volume Conserving Simulation of Deformable Bodies", Proceedings of Eurographics, Munich, March 2009
Jan Bender and Daniel Bayer, "Parallel simulation of inextensible cloth", Virtual Reality Interactions and Physical Simulations (VRIPhys), Grenoble, November 13-14, 2008
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender, "Design of a dynamic simulation system for VR applications", Technical Report 2008-13
PDF BibTex

Daniel Bayer and Jan Bender, "Vergleich der impulsbasierten Dynamiksimulation mit der Lagrange-Faktoren-Methode", 5. Workshop "Virtuelle und Erweiterte Realität der Fachgruppe VR/AR", 2008
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender and Daniel Bayer, "Impulse-based simulation of inextensible cloth", Computer Graphics and Visualization (CGV 2008) - IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Amsterdam 2008
PDF BibTex

Dieter Finkenzeller and Jan Bender, "Semantic representation of complex building structures", Computer Graphics and Visualization (CGV 2008) - IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Amsterdam 2008
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender, "Impulsbasierte Dynamiksimulation von Mehrkörpersystemen in der virtuellen Realität", In GI-Edition Lecture Notes in Informatics (LNI) - Ausgezeichnete Informatikdissertationen 2007
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender, "Impulse-based dynamic simulation in linear time", In Journal of Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2007
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender, "Impulsbasierte Dynamiksimulation von Mehrkörpersystemen in der virtuellen Realität", PhD thesis, University of Karlsruhe, February, 2007
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender and Alfred Schmitt, "Fast Dynamic Simulation of Multi-Body Systems Using Impulses", Virtual Reality Interactions and Physical Simulations (VRIPhys), Madrid, November 6-7, 2006
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender and Alfred Schmitt, "Constraint-based collision and contact handling using impulses", In Proceedings of the 19th international conference on computer animation & social agents, Geneva (Switzerland), 5.-7. July 2006
PDF BibTex

Jan Bender, Dieter Finkenzeller and Alfred Schmitt, "An impulse-based dynamic simulation system for VR applications", In Proceedings of Virtual Concept 2005
PDF BibTex

Alfred Schmitt, Jan Bender and Hartmut Prautzsch, "Impulse-Based Dynamic Simulation of Higher Order and Numerical Results", Technical Report 2005-21
PDF BibTex

Alfred Schmitt, Jan Bender and Hartmut Prautzsch, "On the Convergence and Correctness of Impulse-Based Dynamic Simulation", Technical Report 2005-17
PDF BibTex

Alfred Schmitt and Jan Bender, "Impulse-Based Dynamic Simulation of Multibody Systems: Numerical Comparison with Standard Methods", In Proceedings of Automation of Discrete Production Engineering 2005
PDF BibTex

Dieter Finkenzeller, Jan Bender and Alfred Schmitt, "Feature-based decomposition of façades", In Proceedings of Virtual Concept 2005
PDF BibTex Project

Jan Bender, Dieter Finkenzeller and Peter Oel, "HW3D: A tool for interactive real-time 3D visualization in GIS supported flood modelling", In Proceedings of the 17th international conference on computer animation & social agents, Geneva (Switzerland), 7.-9. July 2004
PDF BibTex Project

Jan Bender, Matthias Baas and Alfred A. Schmitt, "Ein neues Verfahren für die mechanische Simulation in VR-Systemen und in der Robotik", 17. Symposium Simulationstechnik, ASIM 2003
PDF BibTex
Dirk Gregorius

Post by Dirk Gregorius »

I don't remember. As I said look at his PhD.
fishboy82

Post by fishboy82 »

Thanks I will see that
fishboy82

Post by fishboy82 »

Oh I download it but it seems not in English,,,I need an english version,,what can i do....help me
Jan Bender

Post by Jan Bender »

Hi,

the algorithm is very simple. It works for convex polyhedrons. Usually the collision detection delivers one pair of contact points and a contact normal. The algorithm searches for further contact points in the neighbourhood to detect face-face, edge-edge and edge-face contacts.

First of all you want to know which elements (vertex, edge or face) have contact. Therefore, you determine the faces of the bodies which contain the two contact points and are the most orthogonal to the contact normal. If the contact normal and the normal of a resulting face are almost parallel, the next element of the corresponding body is the face. Otherwise find the neighbouring edge which contains the contact point. If the contact normal is orthogonal to this edge, the edge is the next element. Otherwise the next element must be a vertex.

After you determined the next elements of both bodies, you know if you have a face-face, edge-edge or edge-face contact. Only in this cases you can get more contact points. To determine these points you project the one element on the other one. If you have an edge-face contact, project the edge on the face. Then you can determine the required contact points in the two-dimensional (edge-face, face-face) or one-dimensional space (edge-edge). For edge-face contacts you intersect the edge with the face. Very simple in two-dimensional space. A face-face contact is a bit more complicate. You must determine the intersection of two convex polygons (requires O(n)). For a edge-edge contact just determine the overlapping interval. In the end project the result back to three-dimensional space on the bodies and you get the candidates for new contact points. The last step is to check for each new pair of contact points, if the distance is smaller than the tolerance of the collision detection.

The source code of this algorithm is part of IBDS, my open-source library for physical simulation. You can find it here:

http://www.impulse-based.de

Hope that helps,

Jan
fishboy82

Post by fishboy82 »

Thanks a lot for your help