Who invented Islands?

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
Zakalwe

Who invented Islands?

Post by Zakalwe »

Hi guys, looking for the paper that introduced the concept of islands or explains them in enough depth to act as a reference. so far I haven't had much joy :/
Antonio Martini

Re: Who invented Islands?

Post by Antonio Martini »

Zakalwe wrote:Hi guys, looking for the paper that introduced the concept of islands or explains them in enough depth to act as a reference. so far I haven't had much joy :/
look for 'disconnected components' in graph theory:

see for example the 'Connected components' section of:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Courses/cs211 ... lec26.html

bodies are represented by graph nodes, if there is at least one constraint between 2 bodies a edge connecting them is created.

cheers,
Antonio
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Thanks!
KenB

Post by KenB »

Zakalwe wrote:Hi guys, looking for the paper that introduced the concept of islands or explains them in enough depth to act as a reference. so far I haven't had much joy :/
Slow response on an old thread here, but maybe it is of interest to someone...

You can also look for splitting and blocking methods, and perhaps also spectral analysis in numerical linear algebra. This is about finding disconnected or weakly connected blocks in a large system of equations (i.e. a matrix problem), and as mentioned, this is often done using graph traversals.

These blocks or "islands" can then be solved independently and coupled using additive Schwarz.