Bullet Physics Contest: Most Incredible Device, patent issue

Issues with the forum and all license/patent related discussion
Hoehrer

Bullet Physics Contest: Most Incredible Device, patent issue

Post by Hoehrer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:22 pm

I heard about this contest on blendernation. I think it's a great idea, good luck to every participant :D

On the other side ... I don't want to spoil the fun here and i really hope this doesn't affect anything, but.... to quote the guy at happypenguin:
More infos on TIM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine

US Patent 5,577,185: Computerized puzzle gaming method and apparatus (patent covering the concepts of the game, patented by Jeff Tunnell)
Werner

Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:39 pm

The goal of the non-profit content is to make a Rube Goldberg style simulation that is fun to watch running and interact with. We should not violate this patent, and not create a puzzle-building game. To quote the patent:
patent wrote: "Such objects are selected by the user from menus displayed adjacent a puzzle-building region of the display screen of a computer terminal having a cursor control system, preferably including a mouse."
Therefore there should be not a 'puzzle-building region' in the entries, I will add that to the rules.

Thanks for the feedback!
Erwin

Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:57 pm

Once again - the plain "wrongness" of software patents makes itself evident. And unfortunately, we have to abide by it :(

Still, sounds like a cool competition!

--EK

Dragonlord

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:35 am

Wow what a bullshit patent ( pardon my choice of words ). Using this "Garry's Mod" for Half-Life 2 would then be illegal ( and it is now even sold, even if only for 10$ ). Another reason I am against anything concerning software patents :(

optime

Post by optime » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 am

Dragonlord wrote:Wow what a bullshit patent ( pardon my choice of words ). Using this "Garry's Mod" for Half-Life 2 would then be illegal ( and it is now even sold, even if only for 10$ ). Another reason I am against anything concerning software patents :(
IANAL, just because there is a patent doesn't mean it's enforceable or says that it is actively being enforced. It's noteworthy that this belongs to Jeff Tunnel who is one of the founders of garage games. Additionally he seems to have a sane stand regarding software patents - his latest blog entry covers this patent.

Dragonlord

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:16 pm

optime wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:Wow what a bullshit patent ( pardon my choice of words ). Using this "Garry's Mod" for Half-Life 2 would then be illegal ( and it is now even sold, even if only for 10$ ). Another reason I am against anything concerning software patents :(
IANAL, just because there is a patent doesn't mean it's enforceable or says that it is actively being enforced. It's noteworthy that this belongs to Jeff Tunnel who is one of the founders of garage games. Additionally he seems to have a sane stand regarding software patents - his latest blog entry covers this patent.
I see his point of view ( good one ). Still such things should not exist in the first place as otherwise suddenly the wrong ones grew "strange ideas" once upon time :?