Bullet 2.70 released: basic kinematic character controller

Open source Bullet Physics SDK release information
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Bullet 2.70 released: basic kinematic character controller

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Bullet 2.70 is available now, download here, based on SVN Revision r1222.

This deformable bunny vehicle can be steered using K,L,N,M keys.

Important Note: a few minor changes in API
  • RayResultCallback::addSingleResult and RayResultCallback::hasHit are low-case to conform to coding standard.
    Please update your derived classes by a global search for HasHit and AddSingleResult and replace it into hasHit and addSingleResult.
  • btCollisionWorld::rayTest and btCollisionWorld::convexSweepTest use collision filtering consistent with regular collision detection.
    Please assign the collision filter group and mask to the ConvexResultCallback and RayResultCallback structure, before calling rayTest and convexSweepTest.
  • You can customize the collision filtering for ray/convex test by overriding the 'needsCollision' virtual method in the ConvexResultCallback/RayResultCallback result structures
Some new Features
  • First version of kinematic character controller (non-rigid body). See Demos/CharacterDemo
  • Improved soft body collision detection, using convex clusters. Thanks to Nathanael Presson.
  • Added btMultimaterialTriangleMeshShape, see MultiMaterialDemo
    Thanks to Alex Silverman for the contribution
  • Performance improvements for btDbvhBroadphase, and basic textures/shadow support, thanks to Nathanael Presson
  • Havok .hkx to COLLADA Physics .dae file conversion, see hkx2dae
  • Various bugfixes, thanks everyone for reporting!

Enjoy!
Erwin
Wavesonics

Re: Bullet 2.70 released: basic kinematic character controller

Post by Wavesonics »

This is really great news! I'm really looking forward to using 2 bug fix/features related to collision callbacks in this release :)

Do you think we could get an updated Doxygen doc on the site with that hack that works around the Doxygen bug?

That would be exceedingly helpful i think.
Digitalghost

Post by Digitalghost »

Awesome! Keep up the great work!

I was wondering where the dev team was at with integrating CCD into the main physics loop? I thought I read somewhere that this feature would be out in 2.70?
z8000

Post by z8000 »

Digitalghost wrote:Awesome! Keep up the great work!

I was wondering where the dev team was at with integrating CCD into the main physics loop? I thought I read somewhere that this feature would be out in 2.70?
I was just going to ask that. It was mentioned in Issue # 22 of the issue tracker.
tintinkeke

Post by tintinkeke »

great work! :D
Night Elf

Post by Night Elf »

Hi, I'm looking for a phisics engine for my team's next project and I'm interested in using Bullet. I had a look at the new character controller and the source says some things are missing:
/* TODO:
* Interact with dynamic objects
* Ride kinematicly animated platforms properly
* More realistic (or maybe just a config option) falling
* -> Should integrate falling velocity manually and use that in stepDown()
* Support jumping
* Support ducking
*/
I would need almost all of those for what I want to do. My question is, how involved would it be to write those missing features on my own? I'm guessing it won't be too easy if they weren't included...