Bullet 2.68 RC1: soft body preview (updated April 11)

Open source Bullet Physics SDK release information
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Bullet 2.68 RC1: soft body preview (updated April 11)

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Download Bullet 2.68 RC1 here: http://code.google.com/p/bullet/downloads/list

Changelist (and some soft body related improvements) will be in the final release, expected the early next week. Make sure to press ] in the soft body demo.
Feedback welcome,
Erwin
chunky

Re: Bullet 2.68 beta2: soft body preview

Post by chunky »

In the zip file I downloaded, bullet won't build in my project with the soft body stuff because btSoftBody::CreateFromConvexHull is declared and used [at the end of btSoftBodyHelpers::CreateEllipsoid] but never actually defined anywhere in src/. So it won't link if I just drop the library part of bullet, including SoftBody, into my code [which is how I currently use bullet]. By removing SoftBody/ from my project, I didn't suffer this linking error, but then I also don't get access to the SoftBody stuff.

It's actually defined in Demos/SoftDemo/SoftDemo.cpp, but it depends on ConvexHull. Obviously it's there because ConvexHull is part of Extras, and you don't want anything in src/ depending on anything in Extras/... except you're depending on something in Demos/ instead, probably even worse :-)

I would suggest that [assuming it's mature enough] ConvexHull just gets added to the main src/ directory and move the definition of btSoftBody::CreateFromConvexHull into btSoftBody.cpp, but I assume there's a reason it's still in Extras/ instead of in the main distribution, so, I dunno.

Gary (-;
chunky

Post by chunky »

Of course, what I failed to mention is that the soft body stuff looks freaking awesome. Great work :-D

Gary (-;
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

ConvexHull is in the Extras folder, because its memory usage needs to be re-organized and using btAlignedAlloc rather then directly 'new'.

We will check what to do with ths btSoftBodyHelpers::CreateEllipsoid dependency on ConvexHull.

Note that the soft body is an early preview, things might change a lot in upcoming releases.
Thanks for pointing this out,
Erwin
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Bullet 2.68 beta 3: soft body preview (updated April 10)

Post by Erwin Coumans »

ConvexHull source has been refactored to use btAlignedAlloc/Free and moved into Bullet/src/LinearMath and Bullet/src/BulletCollision/CollisionShapes, so we removed the Extras/ConvexHull folder.

Latest Beta 3 also has premature soft body versus soft body interaction, use ] key to toggle between scenes.

Download Bullet 2.68 beta 3 from http://bullet.googlecode.com, or check out the Win32 binary demo (use ] key to switch demo) http://bulletphysics.com/BulletSoftBody.zip

Feedback is welcome,
Enjoy,
Erwin
chunky

Re: Bullet 2.68 beta 3: soft body preview (updated April 10)

Post by chunky »

Works great now when I drop it into my project!

Thank-you very much,
Gary (-;
goret

Re: Bullet 2.68 RC1: soft body preview (updated April 11)

Post by goret »

Hei, fabulous, this soft body demo contains a lot of features !!
It looks to be really clean and efficiency, great job !!

I've just seen that only convex shapes are supported for collision detection against soft bodies, is there any plan for the concave one, or should I stop using compound shape in my software :) ?

thx !
Nathanael

Re: Bullet 2.68 RC1: soft body preview (updated April 11)

Post by Nathanael »

goret wrote:I've just seen that only convex shapes are supported for collision detection against soft bodies, is there any plan for the concave one, or should I stop using compound shape in my software :) ?
Yes only convex shapes are supported for the moment, composites are work in progress, and trimeshs are planned for 2.69 .
If its urgent, you can to give it a try, look in BulletSoftBody/btSparseSDF::DistanceToShape .

Thanks, Nathanael.