Simple boat buoyancy demo

Show what you made with Bullet Physics SDK: Games, Demos, Integrations with a graphics engine, modeler or any other application
robagar

Simple boat buoyancy demo

Post by robagar »

Here's a short demo of a boat sailing through waves on an unbounded ocean. Buoyancy is modelled by attaching floats to the body which simply apply a force acording to their depth below the surface at discrete points. The ocean surface is functionally generated, so it is infinite in extent. Replacing the quick + simple but completely wrong sine waves with something more physically correct is on my todo list, as is making a better boat model :)

Note this is not using the technique demonstrated in HeightFieldFluidDemo, which models the water as a finite heightfield.
Flix

Re: Simple boat buoyancy demo

Post by Flix »

Nice video and physic effect :) !

Code: Select all

Buoyancy is modelled by attaching floats to the body which simply apply a force acording to their depth below the surface at discrete points.
Could you please explain a little further the approach you used ? From what you've written I presume you attached some rigid bodies (how many, which shape, where, with which constraint?) to the boat rigid body so that you can apply a force on each of them at every internal timestep proportional to the body distance from the water surface. Correct?

I'm not asking any source code, just a further explanation of one line or two. Thank you in advance.

Flix.
robagar

Post by robagar »

Cheers! :D

The floats are not real Bullet bodies - they are imaginary things attached to points on my boat object.

Code: Select all

boat
  + btRigidBody
  + Ogre renderable
  + floats
But yes, in the timestep the each float tests the water level at their position, then applies a force to the boat's rigid body at their position relative to the boat. I imagine each float as a cylinder which is always vertical, regardles of the orientation of the boat. The force is proportional to how deeply immersed they are, up to a maximum defined by their volume.

At the moment the boat has just 4 floats - bow, stern, port & starboard. I manually set their volumes to provide enough force to counteract gravity, and then adjust the positions and cylinder lengths to tweak the way the boat moves. I've got a vague idea to generate the floats by packing cylinders into the rigid body volume somehow, but that's something for the future :)
Flix

Post by Flix »

Thank you for your explanation :D !
robagar

Post by robagar »

jinij123

Post by jinij123 »

Could anybody send me a sample code on how to proceed to make a similar sample as shown by robagar?
I would like to use OgreBullet framework for making this.

Thanks in advance.
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

I would also like to see the sorcecode of this boat buoyancy demo.
c6burns

Post by c6burns »

Considering his last visit to the forum was 2 years ago, you might have to be contented with his explanation instead of his source.
gtafan

Post by gtafan »

c6burns wrote:Considering his last visit to the forum was 2 years ago, you might have to be contented with his explanation instead of his source.
I don´t realy expected the topicstarter to give me the sorces, but may be the sources, even posible modified, are avaible somewhere and someone can say where to find them.
Leith

Post by Leith »

I'm happy to follow this up, if nobody else cares to, and hi, Erwin!
wanglei

Post by wanglei »

interesting!