Mesh fallthrough mesh but not hull

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
frankmariusengen

Mesh fallthrough mesh but not hull

Post by frankmariusengen »

Hi,

I am looking at bullet for maya.

The following test is my question:
I make 3 cubes with 10 subdevisions in width depth and height.
One of the qubes i scale to and move to be by groundplane and have it be a static body with collider shape type set to mesh,
the other two I set to dynamic rigidbody.
However one of them i set the collider shape type to mesh and the other is set to hull.

What happens when i simulate it is that the cube set to mesh falls through but the cube set to hull does not fall through.
I have tried settting the Internal Fixed Frame Rate to max which doesent prevent it from fallint through.

It seems Hulls does not fall through anything however meshes falls thorugh other meshes, but not hulls.

The reason why I want to use mesh instead of hull is because if i have anything other then a simple qube for example a bowl and a cube both being hulls the cube floats abow the bowl like shown in the attached jpg.

If i have the bowl be a mesh and the cube be a hull the cube falls into the bowl.

Is there any way around this or is there something I am doing wrong?
I keep getting the error: Input collision mesh has no vertices. -when i create rigidbody with mesh as well as hull.

Thanks in advanced for you help.
Attachments
snapshot4.jpg
snapshot4.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Mesh fallthrough mesh but not hull

Post by Erwin Coumans »

What version of the plugin are you using? Can you check Window / Settings-Preferences / Plug-in Manager / info and report the Name, Path, Vendor, Plug-In Version and 'for API version'?

If the plugin ships with Maya, you might want to try to use Autodesk support instead.

There is the open source Dynamica Maya plugin. It should work with dynamic and static meshes.
What version of Maya are you using? You can download the source or some precompiled binaries here: http://dynamica.googlecode.com

Hope this helps,
Erwin
frankmariusengen

Re: Mesh fallthrough mesh but not hull

Post by frankmariusengen »

We are using the Maya 2012 service advantage pack 1.

Ill have a go at that, thank you so much for you help,

Frank