Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
vini

Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica

Post by vini »

Hello.

I am having problems retrieving the rigidbody name from a .bullet exported file. I tried to debug it and, as it seems, the meshes are being loaded with no name. I am using bullet-2.76 and Maya 2010 (32bits, Win7).

Anyone with similar problems?

TIA.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica

Post by Erwin Coumans »

vini wrote:Hello.

I am having problems retrieving the rigidbody name from a .bullet exported file. I tried to debug it and, as it seems, the meshes are being loaded with no name. I am using bullet-2.76 and Maya 2010 (32bits, Win7).

Anyone with similar problems?

TIA.
The feature of exporting the rigid body name was added after the current Dynamica plugins were uploaded. Can you try to compile the plugin from the current Bullet trunk?

Otherwise, I'll make sure to update the plugins soon,
Thanks,
Erwin
vini

Post by vini »

I can do that. Thanks for the prompt answer.
vini

Post by vini »

I've recompiled from the bullet 2.76 and reloaded the plugin into Maya 2010. I had to fix some paths to do that (some directories were configured to work with Maya 8.5). The plugin seems to work ok but same problem persists. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a more specified documentation about the serialization process so I've could help to fix that?

TIA.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I had to fix some paths to do that (some directories were configured to work with Maya 8.5)
Did you use cmake-gui to configure the projectfiles? What file/directories were configured wrong?

Sorry, I forgot to tell that we moved the Dynamica development to a new repository. I'll removed the Bullet/Extras/MayaPlugin from the Bullet main repository to avoid confusion.

Can you try this location? http://code.google.com/p/dynamica/

Thanks,
Erwin
vini

Post by vini »

I didnt used cmake, used directly the VS2005 solution file. Ok, I'll try from this new repository!

Thanks!
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Can you try it with cmake (from http://cmake.org)? I'll remove the visual studio projectfile, because it is out-of-date.

There is a bit of info how to do this here: http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5. ... om_scratch

The BulletMayaPlugin.mll will be written to ${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}/Release/BulletMayaPlugin.mll
By default, Dynamic cmake searches for Maya in a few locations, you can see it in Dynamica/Extras/MayaPlugin/CMakeLists.txt.
If you use the CMake GUI you can enter the folder where your Maya is installed manually, so you don't need to worry about CMakeLists.txt:
dynamica_cmake.PNG
dynamica_cmake.PNG (41.98 KiB) Viewed 10412 times
Also, there is the preliminary Bullet physics editor for Windows and Mac OSX, that can load the .bullet file and show the names. There is a precompiled Windows binary.
http://bullet-physics-editor.googlecode.com

Thanks a lot,
Erwin
vini

Post by vini »

Built with cmake and VS. Now it is working! Thanks!