New Bullet jenga demo (windows only)

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

New Bullet jenga demo (windows only)

Post by Erwin Coumans »

New Bullet jenga demo:

http://www.continuousphysics.com/bullet_jenga.zip

No linux or other platform builds yet.
Mataii

Re: New Bullet jenga demo (windows only)

Post by Mataii »

Erwin Coumans wrote:New Bullet jenga demo:

http://www.continuousphysics.com/bullet_jenga.zip

No linux or other platform builds yet.
Ok let`s see, Im new in the forum and only want to say that bullet seems to be great! I've been using it in my old demos (with ODE), any way the run very very fast that the official and tuhopuu versions :D

Great work Erwin :D
saluk

Post by saluk »

This has to be about the best physics simulation I have ever seen. Very fast, and a lot of dynamic objects, and no penetration, and everything moves realistically!

I think it's better than ode :)
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Hmm, when I move the platform down the stack collapses and the framerate goes down to 1 fps or less. Is that normal ?

- Pierre
Julio Jerez

Post by Julio Jerez »

Perhaps the goal it showing the collision and not the dynamics
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

brute force place holders: penetration depth estimation

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The jenga stack was supposed to show fairly stable stacking of convex objects, with no deactivation. This means GJK and contact manifold generation :wink:

The current Bullet implementation has a few place holders that are brute force implemented. For example no real broadphase yet, no kdop tree yet, and no proper penetration depth calculation.
Also the jenga demo has no time of impact enabled, so penetration depth estimation is probably killing the fps after the collapse.
So as you can see, it is early stages.
At the moment I'm more focussed to get all above features implemented, that should fix most performance problems.

Still, the jenga stack should perform pretty well. Moving the platform down should bring the jenga stack into contact with the implicit cylinder. So it should tumble over.

- Does it collapse immediatly or after a longer while ?
- Do the fps issues happen immediatly or after a longer while ?
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

- Does it collapse immediatly or after a longer while ?
- Do the fps issues happen immediatly or after a longer while ?
Sorry, it doesn't really "collapse", it probably "tumbles over" instead, as you said.

Here's a picture below. In this situation I have ~1 fps. (It's a 2.4 Ghz machine with a Radeon 9800).

- Pierre
pat

Post by pat »

i think it will collapse after a while (my experiance)

i have a massive slowdown when there are bricks lying under the plattform and i move it down, like crushing the bricks. :twisted:

i think this is what you mentioned in your last post