Soapbox derby

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
ochensati

Soapbox derby

Post by ochensati »

I would like to make a soapbox derby type of vehicle that has the front axel turn when ropes are pulled. I am just getting started with both blender and bullet so I am probably asking stupid questions, but it is not from lack of searching. I have built in blender a T shaped chassis with 3 wheels. I have gone through the raycasting vehicle example and changed it to 3 wheels, but I cannot see how I can change the steering to one where the top of the T rotates and the wheels follow.

I assume that it should be possible to create a hinge at each point, but am hoping that there is already such an option in the vehicle class.

I would also like to add in simulation for adjustable airfoils. Is this possible or is possible to program this in with python (simulate based on relative angle of airfoils).

Sorry for all the questions, I have been trying to figure this out with the manuals for a while.

Brian
ochensati

Re: Soapbox derby

Post by ochensati »

So I was able to build the car with three wheels using hinges. The problem is that it runs quite badly. The wheels stop turning often and sometime the vehicle will flip for no reason at all. Would it be possible to override the vehicle class to handle my different form of steering?
TXDERBY

Re: Soapbox derby

Post by TXDERBY »

First you need to change the ratio between the rope and the axle. Note the following systems that reduces the turning ratio (i.e. a large steering wheel turn equals a smaller axle/wheel movement: http://www.leany.com/images/types_final.jpg

Next you need axle stops to prevent the axle from excessive turning (i.e. "flipping" your racer). Note the "bolts with nuts" on either side of the axle: http://aasbd.com/docs/Stock_Plans.pdf.

If you want to go fast let me know.

TXDERBY
Crew Chief, Ultimate Speed Challenge - our team hold the current gravity world speed record (there have been over 1 million teams that have attempted to set world gravity speed record)