simpe pole system

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
hans.schneider

simpe pole system

Post by hans.schneider »

I'm playing with joints and so I'm trying to make simple system.
It is made of: one CapsuleShape ('pole') put in vertical position on top of BoxShape (base) connected with HingeConstraint.

This system is put on top of a BoxShape which plays role of ground, and gravity is applied. After this initial configuration, pole is brought down (via small force on pole (creates small deviation from vertical position), and then gravity on destabilized pole).

What I'm trying to do after this is to bring pole up, but don't know how. I have tried to translate pole via translate on center of mass, hoping that it will straighten the pole (since base is not moved), but it only translates pole in exact same position (horizontal), and then it is brought down (still in horizontal position) because of joint.

Only solution I have found so far is to reverse gravity and hold base still, so that gravity it self corrects pole position, but this is not applicable in more complex world, and is to slow, because pole oscillate some time before it becomes still in vertical position.

My question is how can I put pole back in vertical position (to repeat experiment, maybe with some different force to destabilize pole)?

P.S. My first post, hallo everyone. :)