C4D - Mograph2 - no hole detection/collision for clones?

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
deepshade

C4D - Mograph2 - no hole detection/collision for clones?

Post by deepshade »

Seems as if its not possible to do things like hoops over sticks, linked hoops, chains etc.

All holes in mograph2 clones are ignored? (holes in non clone rigid bodies are detected - but thats of no use as they cannot function without clone interaction)

asked support - no help

First time look at Bullet - I assume it can do this and that it just hasn't been implemented?

any feedback appreciated.
deepshade

Re: C4D - Mograph2 - no hole detection/collision for clones?

Post by deepshade »

Well, I assume the Maxon developers are here and are staying silent. Shame there's been no feedback on this for over a week - it seems to be running very much true to form as per the 11.5 upgrade - here it is - work it out yourself!
ole.k

Re: C4D - Mograph2 - no hole detection/collision for clones?

Post by ole.k »

Sorry for the late reply, but I do not visit the Bullet forum on a regular basis, so I didn' read your question until yesterday.

Yes, Bullet supports true polygon mesh shapes through the third-party-code GIMPACT. But true mesh-mesh collisions are much slower and less stable than Bullet's built-in ones, which work with the convex hull of the vertices. And as it is likely for MoGraph scenes that there are hundreds or even thousands of colliding objects, speed and stability are very important. So MoDynamics does not use GIMPACT by intention.

Nevertheless, you can decompose a ring into several segments. For each segment, MoDynamics computes the convex hull, and then it puts those shapes together to the actual shape of the ring object. This shape has then a hole. See http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 7&t=810489 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xr-BE34i4E