Bullet intergration with C4d

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
c4dfreak

Bullet intergration with C4d

Post by c4dfreak »

I know you need some sort of game engine to execute a bullet simulation, however is it possible to some how use c4d view port as a place to view simulations. I want to write a plugin for C4d r11 not r11.5 that uses the bullet engine to create a rigid body tag for objects in the Mograph module of r11. I am learning how to use the C4d sdk to write plugins in C++ and want to use Bullet for rigid and soft body simulations in C4d r11 in the form of a plugin.

I know they did it (maxon) for 11.5, but I have been able to launch the rigid body example files from r 11.5 in much earlier versions such as r10. I know I have my work cut out for me. How does one go about starting a project such as this. and is there anyone here that wants to help me with tis project.

The reason I want to develop a plugin for Modyanmics for earlier versions of C4d is because they seem to be taking advantage in the form of Pricing and forcing a new core to get an upgraded module. There is a similar plugin called Silver bullet for c4d r10 but I want to use Bullet for both rigid and soft body dynamics. Maxon only offers rigid as of yet.

I appreciate your time and look forward to your answers.
c4dfreak

Re: Bullet intergration with C4d

Post by c4dfreak »

not a sinlge sole have any input here
ole.k

Re: Bullet intergration with C4d

Post by ole.k »

c4dfreak wrote:I know you need some sort of game engine to execute a bullet simulation, however is it possible to some how use c4d view port as a place to view simulations. I want to write a plugin for C4d r11 not r11.5 that uses the bullet engine to create a rigid body tag for objects in the Mograph module of r11. I am learning how to use the C4d sdk to write plugins in C++ and want to use Bullet for rigid and soft body simulations in C4d r11 in the form of a plugin.
A simple integration of Bullet into CINEMA 4D is not too complicated. At frame 0, you just have to walk through the C4D document (using GetDown, GetNext, ... of the BaseObject), and for each object that shall be a rigid body, you have to create a rigid body within Bullet with the corresponding geometry. During simulation, you have to keep C4D and Bullet in sync. The easier part is to write back the Bullet positions to the C4D document (use SetMg of the BaseObjects to set the world transform). For a nice plug-in, you also have to look for changes on the C4D side and apply them on the Bullet side, which can become complicated if you want to do it in an efficient way.

As a MAXON employee, I cannot give you too many tips :) If you want to implement something like MoDynamics, it is by far not sufficient to budget just some weeks. But a basic implementation as sketched above could be done within few weeks. That wouldn't be able to work with MoGraph though, as the syncing is really tricky there (you have to deal with virtual objects in the cloner's caches).