How to calculate acceleration

Physics APIs, Physics file formats, Maya, Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Blender, thinkingParticles™ and other simulation tools, exporters and importers
adam77

How to calculate acceleration

Post by adam77 »

I'm trying to get the acceleration of a given object at a given moment in time.
Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
Is there a property, or would I have to calculate it from velocity?

Thanks.
stooch

Re: How to calculate acceleration

Post by stooch »

adam77 wrote:I'm trying to get the acceleration of a given object at a given moment in time.
Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
Is there a property, or would I have to calculate it from velocity?

Thanks.

you get a vector from subtracting the current position from the last. the length of this vector is your velocity at that point.
acceleration is the change of velocity, so you would want to sample more than one frame back if you want to establish a trend.
RBD

Post by RBD »

I'm just curious, since I don't really understand the need... rigid bodies have a constant velocity unless a force acts upon them, such as gravity or an other additional user specified force. Therefore, the only acceleration happening is the sum of the force vectors you are applying to an object, which you should already have.... No? Or are you are trying to calculate deceleration caused by friction and/or damping? If you could explain the problem, thanks.
adam77

Post by adam77 »

yes i want decelaration as well :-)

for any 2 arbitrary points in time i want the avg. acelaration or deceleration, i just wondered if there was a shortcut to avoid sampling the velocity and calculating myself
RBD

Post by RBD »

Ok, makes sense, thanks. (sorry, didn't mean to come across as critical; I thought I was missing something).
bkate

Post by bkate »

So, have we determined that sampling is the only way to get the current linear and angular acceleration of a body?
adam77

Post by adam77 »

As far as I know, yes.