Page 1 of 1

Blender and Bullet, sudden mesh split and turns dynamic

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 pm
by JD-Multi
While I was making barrels and trying something for the upcomming Bullet Contest, I found a strange bug. I make a hollow barrel and for some reason the hollow of it turns into a dynamic object for itself. No clue why, looks funny but not ment to be I think. :)

File, just start with P and see the barrel with IcoSphere on top, it have no idea how to explain what exactly happens but it's quite funny, never seen before.
http://stud.cmd.hro.nl/0775659/various/ ... cked.blend

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:24 am
by Erwin Coumans
How did you split the mesh? Does the object have multiple meshes? This could explain the behaviour. Don't use multiple meshes on rigidbodies for now.

If you want to simulate a hollow barrel, you have to create a compound objects, and parenting the sides. You can see a working sample in the mouse trap .blend file. The ball starts in a hollow basket.

Download the mousetrap file here:
http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pu ... test.blend

Hope this helps,
Erwin

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 pm
by JD-Multi
That's exactly the point, I didn't split the mesh. I just modeled a barrel and extruded the top of the barrel to the inside. Afther that I went into object mode and added dynamic and a bound to the object. When I start the engine it splits itself without a reason that I split the object myself. The only thing that could be is that I made a seam of the inner barrel to be able to texture it, it seams to split the seam from the object and use it as another mesh or something. I have no clue but 1 thing for sure I did not split it myself or added multiple meshes to it.