Control-line plane model plane simulation using Bullet
Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 pm
I've been using Bullet for a while now in my R/C plane simulator (http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim)- just for the rigid body simulation.
Just recently I've been adding control-line models (which I used to fly many years ago) - a pretty insane activity where you fly planes round in circles at 80 mph or so, on a pair of 20m long wires that work the elevator, trying not to get dizzy, possibly whilst trying to cut paper streamers off another plane.
To my surprise and delight, after a bit of tweaking, Bullet is able to simulate the tethering using rope physics, and it works very well (and is efficient enough to run on mid-range mobile devices too). It's still in early stages, but here's a video:
http://youtu.be/tORhAE4eoJk
Just recently I've been adding control-line models (which I used to fly many years ago) - a pretty insane activity where you fly planes round in circles at 80 mph or so, on a pair of 20m long wires that work the elevator, trying not to get dizzy, possibly whilst trying to cut paper streamers off another plane.
To my surprise and delight, after a bit of tweaking, Bullet is able to simulate the tethering using rope physics, and it works very well (and is efficient enough to run on mid-range mobile devices too). It's still in early stages, but here's a video:
http://youtu.be/tORhAE4eoJk