Post Stabilization
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:06 pm
Dear group,
I implemented post stabilization today like proposed in the PhD of B. Cline. Especially for contacts this has the advantage that the interpenetration resolvement doesn't contribute to the pesistent momentum. One thing that is not clear from the paper is if I need to rebuild the Jacobian after the position update or if I can use the same Jacobian like before the position update?
Second Bradley stated that the actual result of the LPC is a velocity rather then a displacement. So do I need to integrate the result after running the LCP solver? I use the same LCP solver like the ODE (SOR). I only set the CFM to zero and simply pass the penetration depth as b. Is this correct?
What about mixing Baumgarte and Post Stabilization. When I do this I need to find the penetration depth after the position update that has been resolved through the Baumgarte term: ERP * Depth / dt. I did this by saving the contact point also in relative coordinates to the involved collision geometries. This way I am able to compute the new penetration depth after the position update and feed this into the second LCP. Any other recommendations? What are your experiences?
Maybe we start a poll - what do you prefer:
a) Penalty method - aka Baumgarte stabilization for Time-Stepping
b) Post Stabilization
c) A hybrid form of both
Regards,
Dirk
I implemented post stabilization today like proposed in the PhD of B. Cline. Especially for contacts this has the advantage that the interpenetration resolvement doesn't contribute to the pesistent momentum. One thing that is not clear from the paper is if I need to rebuild the Jacobian after the position update or if I can use the same Jacobian like before the position update?
Second Bradley stated that the actual result of the LPC is a velocity rather then a displacement. So do I need to integrate the result after running the LCP solver? I use the same LCP solver like the ODE (SOR). I only set the CFM to zero and simply pass the penetration depth as b. Is this correct?
What about mixing Baumgarte and Post Stabilization. When I do this I need to find the penetration depth after the position update that has been resolved through the Baumgarte term: ERP * Depth / dt. I did this by saving the contact point also in relative coordinates to the involved collision geometries. This way I am able to compute the new penetration depth after the position update and feed this into the second LCP. Any other recommendations? What are your experiences?
Maybe we start a poll - what do you prefer:
a) Penalty method - aka Baumgarte stabilization for Time-Stepping
b) Post Stabilization
c) A hybrid form of both
Regards,
Dirk