Sequential Impulses Causing To Much Bounce
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 pm
I have a 2D physics engine based on Erin Catto's 'Fast and Simple Physics using Sequential Impulses Paper'
I'm experiencing what seems to be too much "bounce" from my rigid bodies. Is this to be expected using using this technique? Or, do I have a bug to track down.
An example:
I have a cube that is about .64 meters on a side and has mass of 1. Gravity is set to 2 and I drop the cube from about 8 meters.
AllowedPenetration is set to .01 and ImpluseBias is set to .8.
For debugging purposes, when the cube collides I write out the contact penetration of the deepest point. With the above parameters, the values I get are .08 and .02
What happens physically is the cube bounces almost halfway back to its original height then comes back down and rests on the ground with no further bounce.
Is this bounce caused by the "Extra oomph" calculated from the bias factor? Is the bounce just a side effect of using this technique?
My engine is written in c# and targets the XNA platform so I can't easily post an example unless you have all the XNA required tools on you pc. If you do, demos from my engine can be found in the releases section here:
http://www.codeplex.com/FarseerPhysics
Thanks.
I'm experiencing what seems to be too much "bounce" from my rigid bodies. Is this to be expected using using this technique? Or, do I have a bug to track down.
An example:
I have a cube that is about .64 meters on a side and has mass of 1. Gravity is set to 2 and I drop the cube from about 8 meters.
AllowedPenetration is set to .01 and ImpluseBias is set to .8.
For debugging purposes, when the cube collides I write out the contact penetration of the deepest point. With the above parameters, the values I get are .08 and .02
What happens physically is the cube bounces almost halfway back to its original height then comes back down and rests on the ground with no further bounce.
Is this bounce caused by the "Extra oomph" calculated from the bias factor? Is the bounce just a side effect of using this technique?
My engine is written in c# and targets the XNA platform so I can't easily post an example unless you have all the XNA required tools on you pc. If you do, demos from my engine can be found in the releases section here:
http://www.codeplex.com/FarseerPhysics
Thanks.