Page 1 of 1

Sound generation

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:38 am
by dog
It's that time again on my current project, where I think about how we integrate sounds with the collision interactions. I've never been particularly happy with how scraping and rolling have been handled before. I'm interested in how others have done it. (I do have a persistent contact patch between objects, so that should make things easier.)

Thanks.

Re: Sound generation

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:42 pm
by Erwin Coumans
dog wrote:It's that time again on my current project, where I think about how we integrate sounds with the collision interactions. I've never been particularly happy with how scraping and rolling have been handled before. I'm interested in how others have done it. (I do have a persistent contact patch between objects, so that should make things easier.)

Thanks.
Which approach do you want to take?

A) Triggering and choosing an appropriate existing sound sample, based on contact info (sliding, colliding contact etc) ?

B) Generate the sound samples/waves procedurally, based on physics information (for example using finite element methods)?

Thanks,
Erwin

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:08 pm
by dog
(A) Triggering appropriate sounds, seems more practical to me. It is what I've done before, at least.

Really I'm interested in what parameters I should be tracking, and how I should track them to determine the sounds that should be triggered, and how I should modify them.