Artist Pipeline (from Max/Maya) - Dynamica? .Bullet?
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm
Hi,
I've recently added Bullet to our in-house engine but at present for shapes I've got everything using the same .bullet file I created with the serialiser. I'm curious what a typical or expected pipeline for artists to define the collision shape of a model would be for most people, or how I could make use of dynamica to help this. Our alternative is to create shapes in code with our own defined data exported from Maya for each model, which just seems like a duplication of work if the serialisation features are there.
- Is dynamica's bullet export suppose to be used for defining the collision shapes of models, or is it purely for loading an entire bullet world?
- Is there a way to instance shapes from a bullet file rather than just point to the data buffer of the file? For example if we want multiple instances of the same object using the same bullet file, however with different scale values on each instance of the shape. Is the only real solution to load the file into multiple separate buffers?
- Why does the dynamica bullet export produce a world with lots of shapes and rigidy bodies? If I serialise my own shape for testing, I can serialise just a shape. Dynamica seems to export a lot more than just my current selection.
- If .bullet serial files and dynamica are not the way to go, what is recommended?
Thanks in advance!
- Christopher
I've recently added Bullet to our in-house engine but at present for shapes I've got everything using the same .bullet file I created with the serialiser. I'm curious what a typical or expected pipeline for artists to define the collision shape of a model would be for most people, or how I could make use of dynamica to help this. Our alternative is to create shapes in code with our own defined data exported from Maya for each model, which just seems like a duplication of work if the serialisation features are there.
- Is dynamica's bullet export suppose to be used for defining the collision shapes of models, or is it purely for loading an entire bullet world?
- Is there a way to instance shapes from a bullet file rather than just point to the data buffer of the file? For example if we want multiple instances of the same object using the same bullet file, however with different scale values on each instance of the shape. Is the only real solution to load the file into multiple separate buffers?
- Why does the dynamica bullet export produce a world with lots of shapes and rigidy bodies? If I serialise my own shape for testing, I can serialise just a shape. Dynamica seems to export a lot more than just my current selection.
- If .bullet serial files and dynamica are not the way to go, what is recommended?
Thanks in advance!
- Christopher