Is there anyway around quaternions for setting orientation?
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:00 am
Hi there,
I've just started to use bullet as my iPhone game's physics engine.. and its great!
While I was integrating between the game's engine and bullet, I've noticed that the object's orientation is done with quaternions.
My character's orientation is presented in two ways:
- Directional vector + Up vector.
- 4x4 Transformation matrix(just before passing it to OpenGL's pipeline).
I've seen a couple of ways transforming 4x4matrices to quats or up+forward+right vectors to quats..
The question is: do I really have to go through all those conversions?, or maybe that I've missed something in the way?
thanks,
Amir
I've just started to use bullet as my iPhone game's physics engine.. and its great!
While I was integrating between the game's engine and bullet, I've noticed that the object's orientation is done with quaternions.
My character's orientation is presented in two ways:
- Directional vector + Up vector.
- 4x4 Transformation matrix(just before passing it to OpenGL's pipeline).
I've seen a couple of ways transforming 4x4matrices to quats or up+forward+right vectors to quats..
The question is: do I really have to go through all those conversions?, or maybe that I've missed something in the way?
thanks,
Amir