Chin's symplectic 4th order methods
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:46 pm
Siu A Chin describes some very interesting sounding integration methods with only positive time steps. See here(pdf), or lots more papers here.
Previously I thought I would have to choose between energy preserving(Verlet or variants) or higher order(RK4), but this seems like a way to get the best of both worlds.
They also claim much better accuracy than RK4.
I got interested in it when I heard Algorithm C described as 'the new gold standard' here.
Has anyone here already looked at using something like this in their physics engine ? If so I'd be very interested to hear results and would appreciate any tips on implementation.
I'm interested in it for my live form-finding/analysis CAD plugin Kangaroo, and want something that can be used for a wide range of different types of simulation - So perhaps slightly different requirements than a typical game engine.
Previously I thought I would have to choose between energy preserving(Verlet or variants) or higher order(RK4), but this seems like a way to get the best of both worlds.
They also claim much better accuracy than RK4.
I got interested in it when I heard Algorithm C described as 'the new gold standard' here.
Has anyone here already looked at using something like this in their physics engine ? If so I'd be very interested to hear results and would appreciate any tips on implementation.
I'm interested in it for my live form-finding/analysis CAD plugin Kangaroo, and want something that can be used for a wide range of different types of simulation - So perhaps slightly different requirements than a typical game engine.