Page 1 of 1
Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 pm
by vini
Hello.
I am having problems retrieving the rigidbody name from a .bullet exported file. I tried to debug it and, as it seems, the meshes are being loaded with no name. I am using bullet-2.76 and Maya 2010 (32bits, Win7).
Anyone with similar problems?
TIA.
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm
by Erwin Coumans
vini wrote:Hello.
I am having problems retrieving the rigidbody name from a .bullet exported file. I tried to debug it and, as it seems, the meshes are being loaded with no name. I am using bullet-2.76 and Maya 2010 (32bits, Win7).
Anyone with similar problems?
TIA.
The feature of exporting the rigid body name was added after the current Dynamica plugins were uploaded. Can you try to compile the plugin from the current Bullet trunk?
Otherwise, I'll make sure to update the plugins soon,
Thanks,
Erwin
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:43 pm
by vini
I can do that. Thanks for the prompt answer.
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm
by vini
I've recompiled from the bullet 2.76 and reloaded the plugin into Maya 2010. I had to fix some paths to do that (some directories were configured to work with Maya 8.5). The plugin seems to work ok but same problem persists. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a more specified documentation about the serialization process so I've could help to fix that?
TIA.
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:15 pm
by Erwin Coumans
I had to fix some paths to do that (some directories were configured to work with Maya 8.5)
Did you use cmake-gui to configure the projectfiles? What file/directories were configured wrong?
Sorry, I forgot to tell that we moved the Dynamica development to a new repository. I'll removed the Bullet/Extras/MayaPlugin from the Bullet main repository to avoid confusion.
Can you try this location?
http://code.google.com/p/dynamica/
Thanks,
Erwin
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 pm
by vini
I didnt used cmake, used directly the VS2005 solution file. Ok, I'll try from this new repository!
Thanks!
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:43 pm
by Erwin Coumans
Can you try it with cmake (from
http://cmake.org)? I'll remove the visual studio projectfile, because it is out-of-date.
There is a bit of info how to do this here:
http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5. ... om_scratch
The BulletMayaPlugin.mll will be written to ${LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}/Release/BulletMayaPlugin.mll
By default, Dynamic cmake searches for Maya in a few locations, you can see it in Dynamica/Extras/MayaPlugin/CMakeLists.txt.
If you use the CMake GUI you can enter the folder where your Maya is installed manually, so you don't need to worry about CMakeLists.txt:

- dynamica_cmake.PNG (41.98 KiB) Viewed 20745 times
Also, there is the preliminary Bullet physics editor for Windows and Mac OSX, that can load the .bullet file and show the names. There is a precompiled Windows binary.
http://bullet-physics-editor.googlecode.com
Thanks a lot,
Erwin
Re: Retrieving rigidbody name from importing with Dynamica
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm
by vini
Built with cmake and VS. Now it is working! Thanks!