Page 1 of 1

Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm
by gfm
Hey Everyone,

I'm Robert, the programming-half of Bork3D Games. We're two guys who have been working on an iPhone title in our spare time. We recently released for iPhone "Anytime Golf: Magic Touch" and I'm proud to proclaim it uses bullet physics. We use it for simulating the flight dynamics of the golf ball, sphere/trimesh collision and ray casts.

Bullet translated great to the iPhone. We had to reduce some of the default memory pool sizes to save memory--but other than that we're pretty much running vanilla bullet.

And the iPhone runs it well. There's only one "cheat" we did to improvement performance... When the character is swinging to hit the ball there's a lot of stuff going on: character animation, sound effects.. not to mention the massive glob of terrain we're rendering. Once the ball is transitioned to flight the iPhone has a lot of work to do. I discovered that I can dynamically reduce the fixedTimeStep interval passed to bullet in these circumstances and still get convincing results. After the camera transition we render a different character model to save ms and crank up the physics precision. By the time the ball is ready to collide with terrain everything is right where it should be.

The only portion of our physics we don't get completely from bullet is our rolling friction model. But bullet made this pretty easy to implement. Whenever I get a collision callback I have some code that tries to guess if its a rolling contact or a bouncing contact, and if its a rolling contact I engage an algorithm that starts applying linear and angular dampening based on the impacted material. It took a bit of fine-tuning but I think the results are convincing.

I'd like to give a shout to everyone on the forum who helped me along the way, I couldn't have done this without you. Erwin, ola, pico, Alex, RobW... thanks a bunch you guys, you're awesome!

And of course, a very special thanks to everyone who's contributed to bullet... especially you Erwin! ;-)

Cheers,

-robert

You can learn more about the game on our website: http://bork3d.com

Image

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:29 pm
by coolman
Congrats robert,

The game looks very nice. I would like to digg more into the Bullet & iPhone integration.

Do you have any plans to make a Lite version?

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:32 pm
by gfm
coolman wrote:Congrats robert,

The game looks very nice. I would like to digg more into the Bullet & iPhone integration.

Do you have any plans to make a Lite version?
Yea, actually "Anytime Golf: Preview Edition" is in the works. It should be available June 1st on the App Store.

Regarding Bullet & iPhone integration, I'm offering my game engine up for sale now if anyone is interested. I started a thread on the iphonedevsdk forum if you'd like to learn more: http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphon ... -sale.html

-robert

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:27 pm
by gfm
coolman wrote:Congrats robert,

Do you have any plans to make a Lite version?
Actually we decided to can the "preview" edition. Instead we dropped the price to $0.99 :-)

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 50314&mt=8

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:12 pm
by gfm
Update!

Anytime Golf for iPad is now available, which also uses Bullet!

Youtube video

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm
by gamba85
Cool!!Game for iphone and ipad! what about other platforms?

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 am
by larrymaroudis592
Wow this is another game that I will download to my phone soon. Thank you for the share.

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:26 am
by gerald548781
I am very thankful for sharing an interesting topic with us. :D

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 am
by jhumpa
Thanks a lot gfm for creating such a nice game. Congrats

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 am
by davidwachowi62
Cool stuff this game is great nothing compares I'm starting to get addict on this.

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 am
by evanjones246
Just downloaded the game on my ipad! Love it!
[quote="gfm"]Update!

Good stuff thanks

Re: Anytime Golf: Magic Touch (for iPhone) uses Bullet

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:41 am
by bestactorx
Thanks for sharing the link to the game "Anytime Golf". I am a great fan of Golf games, but the job now is I have to travel always, so I miss my golf club.Outlook settings I guess the game you have shared will be very entertaining for me to make my trips busy.